If you have a qualifying disability or long-term illness, you are exempt from paying VAT on mobility products that have been designed or adapted for personal or domestic use.
The following products and services offered by Bromakin Wheelchairs usually qualify for VAT relief:
- Class 1 and 2 mobility scooters (scooters not designed for road use)
- Adjustable beds
- Rise and recline chairs
- Stair lifts
- Rollators and wheeled walkers
- Wheelchair access ramps
- Adaptation of products
In addition to this, you will not be charged VAT for the following:
- Repairs and maintenance of mobility products
- Adapting mobility products
- Spare parts (integral components)
- Accessories (optional extras to improve the operation of the equipment or to allow it to be used to better effect)
You are only eligible for VAT relief if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You have a physical or mental impairment which has long-term and substantial adverse effects on your ability to carry out everyday activities
- You have a medical condition which medical professionals treat as a chronic illness
You are not eligable if you fall into the following categories:
- You are an elderly person that does not have a disability or chronic illness
- You are suffering from a temporary disability or incapacitation such as a broken limb
In order to qualify for VAT relief, you must complete a declaration form to confirm your have a qualifying disability. You can download the form here.
If you are unable to make a written declaration (e.g. you are unable to write or you are a child), you are able to get a parent, guardian, doctor, or other responsible person to complete the declaration on your behalf.